The first component for Airwatch initial setup is to configure the SQL database. Below are the SQL Server Software Requirements:
- SQL Server 2008 R2, SQL Server 2012, or SQL Server 2014 (in 2012 compatibility mode) with Client Tools
(SQL Management Studio, Reporting Services, Integration Services, SQL Server Agent, latest service packs). Ensure the SQL Servers are 64-bit (OS and SQL Server). SQL Server 2008 R2 or higher is required for reports.
- Currently only Standard and Enterprise Editions are supported.
- .NET 4.5.2 through 4.6.2 is required to run the database installer.
- Ensure the SQL Server Agent Windows service is set to Automatic or Automatic (Delayed) as the Start type for the service. If set to Manual, it has to be manually started before database installation.
TCP/IP should be enabled
- Use TCP/IP to connect to the database and disable Named Pipes. In SQL Server Configuration Manager, navigate to SQL Server Network Configuration and select Protocols for MSSQLSERVER.
Once the prerequisites in place, we can start the database configuration.
Creating the Database
To create the database, you must perform the following steps with an administrator account that has the correct read/write permissions.
- On the SQL Server, open SQL Server Management Studio.
- Log in using your user name and password.
- Click Connect.
- Right-click Databases and select New Database.
- Enter AirWatch as the Database name
- Scroll to the right side of Database files, select the … next to Autogrowth for AirWatch, and change File Growth to
“In Megabytes” and the size to 128, then select OK.
Select Options, and select SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_C1_AS and select Close.Now we will Create AirWatch SQL Service Account and Assign DB Owner Roles
– Log in to the DB server containing the AirWatch database.
– Navigate to Security > Login, right-click, and select New Login.
. Select whether to use your Windows account or local SQL Server account for authentication. For SQL Server authentication, enter your user credentials.
. Select the AirWatch database as the Default database.
-Navigate to the Server Roles tab. Select server role as Public.
-Select User Mapping.
-Select the AirWatch Database. Then, select the db_owner role.
Select the msdb Database. Then, select the SQLAgentUserRole and db_datareader roles.
AirWatch Database Setup Utility
Once all prerequisites are met, such as creating the database and the AirWatch
SQL account and assigning DB owner roles used for installation, run the AirWatch database setup utility.
It’s really simple installation (no brainer) , simply run the executable and follow the installation wizard
You can see above, Airwatch Database utility will install any pending component upon execution.
Make sure to select correct database catalog and user have proper rights to make changes to the AirWatch database instance.
That’s all for database configuration for Airwatch . In Part 2 I will cover the SSL certificate and domain configuration for Device services server.